What is Micellar Water?
A micellar water is basically a cleansing compromise: a 2-in-1 make up remover and toner. My low maintenance clients love them because they don’t need to rinse them off.
Who is Simple Micellar Water for?
My teenage clients who are addicted to wipes.
My sensitive skin clients who don’t like the feeling of water on their skin.
My busy clients who are too knackered to take their make up off at night.
When to use?
Use as a make up remover at night. Ideally follow with an exfoliating AHA/BHA/PHA facial wash – but I am a realist.
To be honest I am just grateful that some of my lazier clients cleanse at all. I sometimes recommend it as a morning cleanser for those clients who don’t like the feeling of water on their skin.
- Glycerin: Micellar waters are a low-maintenance alternative if water leaves your skin feeling tight. The third ingredient is hydrating glycerin, which is a great start. However, I am not convinced by Simple’s claim that it ‘instantly boosts hydration by 90%’.
- Niacinamide: 4th ingredient. Skin brightening, hydrating and helps control oil production. An excellent ingredient which won’t irritate the skin.
- Chamomile extract: anti-inflammatory.
- Panthenol: helps strengthen the skin barrier and is non-irritating.
What’s not in it?
- No artificial perfume
- No colour/dye
- No alcohol
- No parabens
The Science Bit
Micellar waters have been popular in France for years so micelle technology is nothing new. Micelles are tiny molecules of oil suspended in water that dissolve make up and dirt.
- Gentle enough for a sensitive skin.
- Non-comedogenic – won’t block your pores.
- No need to wash off so good if you live in a hard water area and find that water dries out your skin.
- The pH is approximately 6. Our skin is between 4.5 and 5.5 so this is a little too alkaline, but there are far worse on the market.
- Whilst the gentle cleansing agents won’t irritate a sensitive skin, they won’t be able to remove physical sunscreen or long-lasting foundation. So not a very thorough cleanse.
My Husband’s experience
I buy this for my Husband because it is cheap and he is too lazy to use a facial wash twice a day.
Simple claim that there is no need to rub in order to remove make-up, but endless cotton pads later and my sensitive skin was looking a bit red.
Just like a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, micellar waters are never my first choice. However, I will keep repurchasing it for my fiancee because he is too tight to buy his own!